If you’re new to web design, beginning a new website project can feel like a daunting and intimidating task.
You’re probably thinking that there are so many moving parts to web design that it could be easy to overlook some of them without a clear plan?
While yes, there are a number of different moving parts to web design & development, it should still be a fun process.
In an effort to help make the process a little less overwhelming, it is essential to be clear on your process. A great way to ensure you’re not missing anything is by following a checklist to gather all the content that you will need from the client in order to make the process as smooth as possible—and with minimal emails back and forth.
I’ve created a list of essential content that I gather for my client projects for a smooth web design & development process. Feel free to swipe my web design content checklist below to make sure you’ve covered all bases!
Brand style guide & brand assets
- Brand colours
- Font files
- High-resolution images (so they can be optimised to the correct size)
- Named appropriately with descriptive/keyword titles for SEO
Clearly formatted in a Word/Google Doc with:
- Page titles
- SEO description
- Customer reviews & testimonials
- Emails – for contact forms, order confirmations, general messages.
- Blog posts (one at minimum to populate the content)
- Portfolio/project content
- 404-page content & links
- ebooks/PDFs – email opt-ins, freebies, downloadables
- Videos – hosted on Vimeo, Loom, YouTube.
- Any additional widgets needed
- Chosen domain name
- Domain registrar (e.g. Namecheap/GoDaddy/Crazy Domains)
- Username & password – to point the domain to the website host
- Chosen website host (if we are not managing hosting for you. e.g. Siteground)
- Username & password – to set up and manage the website files
- Chosen email marketing platform (e.g.Mailerlite/ActiveCampaign)
- API key (a secure authentication token to link to your site)
- Password (only needed for designing and setting up any email marketing templates)
Website optimisation information
- Google Analytics tracking ID
- Facebook Pixel ID
- Business address
- Phone number
- Contact email
- Business hours (if applicable)
- Service area (if applicable)
- Terms and conditions